MARIBOR – EUROPEAN CITY OF SPORT 2018
Maribor has got its place on the world’s tourist map by hosting many international events and projects over the recent years:
- European Capital of Culture 2012;
- European Capital of Youth 2013;
- Festival Lent with Folk Art festival
- The centre of one of the fastest growing destinations in Slovenia;
- One of the TOP 10 tourist destinations in the world according to the opinion of various media outlets in the past few years;
- City of the Old Vine, the oldest vine in the world, which brings many visitors from all over the world to the Old Vine House.
One of the city’s purest characters is undeniably linked to sports. More than that. Maribor is indeed often referred to as “city of champions”. The number of sport accomplishments collected by such a small city is a true phenomenon. What is more, every year Maribor hosts several internationally important sport events, such as the traditional skiing world cup race Golden Fox and even UEFA Champions league games played by the local football team NK Maribor. Every year the city attracts world-renowned sport teams and hosts numerous summer sport camps. In short – sport plays a big part in Maribor’s everyday life. Therefore holding the title of European City of Sport 2018 is a great honour, as well as a testament to the city’s commitment for sport to become an even bigger part of its identity in the years to come.
- To increase Maribor’s recognizability as a sport destination
- To increase the number of visitors at sport events
- To encourage more locals to be active
- To increase the use of local sport infrastructure
- To promote Maribor as a destination for sport camps, summer preparations and international sport events (championships).